Friday, January 12, 2024

                                   THE BRIDGE


I remember full well the first time that I met him that fate was at work. I also knew that he would break my heart like no other person had done in years past. And with all this knowledge at my feet I still went into it with open arms. Why you may ask, well because I knew that for some reason I needed to experience this in order to move forward and at that moment to love someone the way I was going to love this person was going to be the deepest love I have ever been through.

The first time that we met I took a picture of him, straight away. Like I said, the moment that we first met I knew this was going to be a roller coaster, I loved rollercoasters then, not so much these days. Anyhow, from that first moment he was always around. Every party, get together, dinners, and soon enough to intimate gatherings. 

At first I ignored him fantastically, I'd say hello when he would first arrive, then I would immediately go to the opposite side of the room, I'd watch him through my peripheral and as he made his way towards me I would move away. I made it a game, a slow dance and sometimes we would connect like the hands on a clock, we would chat about something nonsensical then I would say my exit line and move to chat with someone else.

This went on for a few months, playing cat and mouse sort of thing.  Until one the night it finally all came to head. Maybe it was  frustration that lead to this moment, not really ever having conversation or saying not more than a few sentences between us, that all this finally came to be.

One of my favorite festivals in New York City is the San Gennero Festival in little Italy. Not sure why but it just me happy to eat loads of Italian foods and drink wine. Lots of wine. I had made plans to meet up with friends who were a couple visiting at the time at the festival. And I asked a friend to be my plus one so there would be an even four and we would have the chance to have even conversations through out the night. We all decided to meet at the festival and Of course me being who I am got there fairly early, so I decided I get a drink while I waited for everyone to show up. 

The couple arrived first, did the usual ritual of hellos, they made a joke about me already having a drink, then they decided they would get one as well as I waited for my friend to show up. It was early but it was pretty active and it was starting to get really packed  and in the distance I could see my friends head. I was about to raise my hand to wave at him, then from out of the crowd I saw him, my friend brought him to the festival. 

I really wanted to just yell and cus him out in my New York fashion outrage, but I kept it cool and said hello, my friends showed up with their drinks in hand and we were off to enjoy more drinks, rides and food.

Night came rather fast and we were all ready for a sit down dinner, we found a very cute place out of the way of the festival but just close enough to hear the music and the laughter of the crowd enjoying themselves. 

We got a table outside, the couple sat together obviously, my friend sat at the head of the table par usual, I sat across the on his right and HE sat next to me on my right, get the picture. I know it was the wine that broke down this wall that I had built to protect me from him, all the strategic moves that I had planned for all those weeks and months came crashing down the moment we sat together.

The night went so slowly and funny I don't remember a thing that went on, what we drank or ate, when the food came or when they picked up our plates, nothing. All I remember is talking and laughing with HIM, we didn't even chat with anyone else at the table at all and I'm actually surprised nobody mentioned it or said anything about it. 

Then it happened, our eyes finally met and we were locked in. Everything kinda just stopped, there were no words between us, it felt like an eternity of silence. As I was studying his face, I looked at his forehead, his eyes, nose and lips, I finally spoke. I said," well it looks like you're going to be around a lot so I should get to know you better" and HE said, " well we can also do our own thing". 

And there it was, those two sentences sealed the deal and fate had finally came to claim my heart and soul.

HRH

No comments:

Post a Comment

      At this time in my life, when I look in the mirror I still see a very naive in the way I’ve been navigating my life.      Partly becau...